Tuesday 11 September 2012

The Master Skinwright: Chapter 1 part 1

I'm hoping to post part 2 in a few days, let me know what you think!

Chapter 1

I know a thing or two about skin. After all didn't I spend six years as an apprentice to Serlooni the great master skinwright? He taught me all he knew. Cutting skin, snapping skin, shaping skin, heating it, freezing it. I was good too. A real natural. I could control the veins, mastered the art of the changing of the forms, a very useful skill I'm sure you'll agree. And I knew all the lore. All eight traditions of the origin and all branches of related wisdom. Can I help you with your problem? My boy, your problem is child's play.
"I know a little of what you speak, please show me and I shall try to help."
"Thank you father, we will all be in your debt if you can help us. Please follow me."
So sycophantic, I'm surprised people like him are left nowadays. Not that it would matter if he was a sceptic, after all, he needs me.
"Are you enjoying your trip father?"
"Yes I am."
"Good, just hope you can help. It's a bit of issue if I can't get it fixed. The company will um... sack me."
"They are very harsh masters."
"Well, see, if the engine isn't fixed we won't get to Earth on time and there's some... some precious cargo that will spoil."
Yes, so I heard. Very precious indeed.
"The secret is safe my son and I will see what I can do for the engine."
"Thank you father. Um...Not going to Conway are you by any chance?"
"Not soon, but one day...is this it?"
"Yes, it's just through this door. Give me a minute, I need to unlock it... there please step through."
Foolish boy, witness the power of your desperation. You have allowed me access to the engine room. I could be anyone and I may do anything. What recklessness has your fear brought you to?
"The combiner is just along here father. Something's wrong with it. The radiation levels are almost twice what they should be. We've checked all the systems, but there seems to be nothing wrong. The only possibility remaining is that there is something wrong with the skin."
"Then is it not very dangerous for us to be in here, that is why those lights are flashing?"
"It's alright father, it's just a precaution. The radiation is still too low to cause any harm, but we shouldn't stay in here for a longer then an hour. I guess that shouldn't be a problem for you right? You can probably fix this in a few seconds with a click of your fingers, hey?"
I also do a good line in rising from the dead.
"I will see what I can do."
"It's a good thing you were on board father, it's not every day that we find a member of the brotherhood on board; it would take me hours to fix it manually and I'm not even sure what's wrong."
"Can you show me the radiation levels?"
"Here, you can see for yourself."
Twice normal levels and rising. It's just perfect.
"That shouldn't be possible, the skin should be containing the reaction. Could you take me closer to the combiner so I can see it?
"I don't think it's a good idea to go any further."
"We must go on."
"It's really dangerous the levels of radiation too high, look at the scanner!"
"My dear boy, we make these engines, the radiation levels are just fine, your scanner is faulty,"
"What?"
"Don't worry, just keep going so I can get to the combiner."
"But I can't, I'm going to die!"
"Trust me, I'm a Skin Wright. I can feel the skin in my mind, there is no radiation problem."
"I, I trust you father. I'll take you in all the way."
"Good, and I promise you that you are perfectly safe from the radiation."
"So do you know what's wrong with the reactor?"
"Yes I do. Nothing."
"But what about the...hey what's going on? What is th..."
You just lie there for a while. I'll have this fixed in no time at all.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment